The weekend is rapidly approaching. A good way to kick-off the weekend is to hang out with great friends with good beer, and to show off you vocal talent TOMORROW or Every Friday at Daddy-O's Pub "Finally Karaoke Friday Night". We have seen some pretty good singers come out to our Karaoke Nights and would like to give you some helpful tips to improve your singing. Who know's??? You might be the next Landau Eugene Murphy, Jr or Kelly Clarkson!
1. Relax - Remember you are singing for fun and your entertainment at Daddy-O's Pub, there are no American Idol or America's Got Talent Judges here. Relaxing does wonders to your vocal chords and your overall performance.
2. Know the song and the lyrics. - Too many times we see people choosing songs at random and trying to sing it without familiarity of the song or the lyrics. Knowing the song and the lyrics will help you understand the phrasing of the song ("How the Song Goes") and to relax during your performance.
3. Commit to singing at least 10-15 minutes a day. - Whether you are in your car or in the shower, there is always time to listen to music and sing with it. Over time, you will see improvement in your singing.
4. Always warm up before practice or a performance. - To warm up your vocals, try to hum out a scale or a song that does not make your vocal chords or throat hurt.
5. Always practice in front of a mirror. - Though this may not help with your singing, it will help in your overall performance. In the music business, it is called "stage presence". Sometimes, stage presence can compensate for a not so good vocal performance.
6. Attend as many concerts as you can of bands or singers that are in the genre you sing. - Yes, we would love you to come out to Daddy-O's Pub to watch Live Music on Saturday nights! We hope our live bands give you inspiration for your next performance at Karaoke Nights. If there is a particular band you would love to see at Daddy-O's Pub, let us know.
7. Audio or Video recordings of your performances. - Always bring a friend to Karaoke Nights and have them record your performance on your smart phone or camcorder. This will give you something that can help you improve your performance or become an overnight sensation on YouTube and be sure to tag Daddy-O's Pub on your Facebook Posting.
8. Always respect your instrument and take care of it. - Keep your throat warm and wet with drinks at room temperature or warmer. We're not your mom! Partake of our Drink Specials responsibly and take care of your health.
9. Accept as many vocal performances as possible. - You are always welcome to come out on Daddy-O's Pub Karaoke Nights and sign-up for as many slots that are available. Sing until your heart's content!
10. Seek a professional vocal coach with experience. - If you plan to go further in your singing career, you should find a vocal coach with professional singing experience in the genre you are interested in. If you go pro, we'd love to have your picture and autograph to say "we knew you when...." and book you for Live Music - Saturday Night!